Frankenstein

Frankenstein

Characteristics that make Frankenstein a Romantic Novel

The following is a list of characteristics that make Frankenstein a Romantic Novel. "Romantic" does not refer to a romance in the sense of men and women, but to the qualities the novel possesses and the time period in which it was written. Below each characteristic listed are quotes from the text that support them.

LOVE OF NATURE

"...I feel a cold northern breeze play upon my cheeks, which braces my nerves, and fills me with delight." (Pg. 9)

"I may there discover the wondrous power which attracts the needle; and may regulate a thousand celestial observations that require only this voyage to render their seeming eccentricities constant forever." (Pg. 10)

"I have often attributed my attachment to, my passionate enthusiasm for, the dangerous mysteries of the ocean, to that production of the most imaginative of modern poets." (Pg. 15)
"Even broken in spirit as he is, no one can feel more deeply than he does the beauties of nature. The starry sky, the seam and every sight afforded y these wonderful regions seem still to have the power of elevating his soul from earth." (Pg. 23)


BELEIF IN THE POWER OF THE INDIVIDUAL

“Six years have passed since I resolved on my present undertaking. I can, even now, remember the hour from which I dedicated myself to this great enterprise.” (Pg. 10)

“…do I not deserve to accomplish some great purpose? My life might have been passed in ease and luxury; but I preferred glory to every enticement that wealth placed in my path.” (Pg. 11)

“…I feel my heart glow with an enthusiasm which elevated me to heaven; for nothing contributes so much to tranquilize the mind as a steady purpose…” (Pg. 10)

“I am practically industrious – painstaking; - a workman to execute with perseverance and labour…” (Pg. 15)

DESIRE TO EXPLORE THE UNKNOWN

“This breeze, which has traveled from the regions towards which I am advancing, gives me a foretaste of those icy climes. Inspirited by this wind of promise, my day dreams become more fervent and vivid.” (Pg. 9)

“I shall satiate my ardent curiosity with the sight of a part of the world never before visited…” (Pg. 10)

“I have read with ardor the accounts of the various voyages which have been made in the prospect of arriving at the North Pacific Ocean through the seas which surround the pole.” (Pg. 10)

“…when shall I return?…If I succeed, many, many months, perhaps years, will pass before you and I may meet. If I fail, you will see me again soon, or never.” (Pg. 11)